The Macedonian Tendency: Clay Scott is not "Nahsi", but He Wants to be!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Clay Scott is not "Nahsi", but He Wants to be!

Clay Scott is a veteran, well-traveled reporter who managed to find himself on the wrong side of the tracks in Sofia, Bulgaria. Good fun!

Something to Celebrate
By Clay Scott - 11/19/06
Helena Independent Record:

"I could understand what he was saying, but the language he was speaking wasn’t Bulgarian. Before I could react he hit me in the mouth with a jab, and followed it up with a hook to my jaw. With the table between us the punches were less than full force, but they smarted, and I felt my mouth bleeding. Suddenly it dawned on me that he had been speaking Macedonian.

“What are you doing, brother?” I said. “I’m a Macedonian. I’m a Macedonian from America.”

“Really,” he said skeptically. “What’s your name?”

Thinking fast, I remembered a Macedonian restaurant I used to go to in San Francisco.

“Stoyanov,” I said. “Alexander Stoyanov.”

“Hey!” he said to his comrades. “He’s one of ours!”

His girlfriend got a bowl of ice and a towel from the bar, and he gently and expertly cleaned the blood from my face. He didn’t ask what I was doing in Bulgaria, or why, if I was Macedonian, I was speaking Bulgarian.

“I’m sorry, brother,” he said. “I didn’t know you were one of ours. Hey you!” he said to the bartender. “Put on some Macedonian music. We have something to celebrate!”"

Clay Scott is a veteran, well-traveled reporter who lives in Helena.

No comments:

Post a Comment