The Macedonian Tendency: New Macedonia Travel Guide

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

New Macedonia Travel Guide

I have not read this book yet. I you have read it yet, post a review on Alt.News.Macedonia

Bradt Travel Guides > Macedonia

Author's Note, by Thammy Evans

This book started when, on moving to Macedonia, I popped into Stanford's in London to get a travel guide on Macedonia, only to find that there wasn't one. There were a few pages here and there in other books on the region, but nothing that would last me at least a year's worth of weekends in an obviously geographically and historically rich country, never mind anything that might include the political reasons why Macedonia has been so volatile.

In an effort to get this book out in time for the 2004 Olympics in Greece, I went through my own marathon of Macedonian politics and places through the ages. There is so much in this small land. It is not a place of extremes, but it is a land of many different layers, each layer a mosaic of different perspectives and perceptions, a kaleidoscope of subtle colours and lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment